In Springfield Jan. 18-19 For Bridge Demolition
Greene County -- Interstate 44 at West Bypass (Route 160) in Springfield will be CLOSED starting at 10 p.m. Friday, Jan. 18, and will remain closed until as late as 6 p.m. Saturday,
Jan. 19, to allow contractor crews to dismantle the west half of the West Bypass bridge over I-44, the Missouri Department of Transportation said.
During the same 20-hour period, West Bypass will be CLOSED.
Reason: The west half of the West Bypass bridge over I-44 will be taken down as part of a project to replace the West Bypass bridge over I-44.
The east half of the bridge was torn down in late September and has been replaced.
Law enforcement officers from the Springfield Police Department, Greene County Sheriff's Department and the Missouri Highway Patrol will be set up at various locations during the closing Friday night and Saturday to help drivers navigate the closings.
Traffic Impacts on Thursday, Jan. 17
Contractor crews will begin the process of shifting West Bypass traffic to the new east half of the bridge over I-44 on Thursday.
Beginning after noon, drivers on West Bypass can expect traffic shifts as crews move concrete barriers and prepare to shift all of West Bypass traffic to the new half of the bridge.
By evening hours on Thursday, all West Bypass traffic will be shifted to the new east half of the bridge.
I-44 traffic will not be impacted by the work on the West Bypass bridge on Thursday.Traffic Impacts During the Weekend Closing
1. People driving through Springfield on I-44 will be urged to detour to the south of town -- westbound I-44 traffic along Route 65 (at I-44 Mile Marker 82), Route 60 and Route 360 (at I-44 Mile Marker 69) and eastbound I-44 traffic along Route 360 (at I-44 Mile Marker 69), Route 60 and Route 65 (at I-44 Mile Marker 82).
While the ramps at the I-44/West Bypass interchange will remain open, drivers are urged to use the detour around Springfield's south side to avoid delays that could develop on the ramps.
Electronic message signs along I-44 will carry that advisory.
Big trucks especially are being urged to use the Route 65-60-360 alternate route.
2. Drivers using Route 160/West Bypass will not be able to cross over I-44 but will be directed onto the I-44 ramps:
* If northbound heading toward Willard, turn east on I-44 or Kearney Street to Kansas Expressway or west on Kearney Street to the westbound I-44 on-ramp.
* If southbound heading toward Springfield, turn west onto I-44 and use another interchange to turn around and travel back toward Springfield.
3. Or stay completely away from the I-44/West Bypass interchange and travel another way. Other state routes and county roads and city streets can be used to avoid the construction area. Project Background
The project involves replacing the West Bypass bridge over I-44 half at a time, adding a new traffic signal on the south end of the bridge and upgrading the existing traffic signal on the north end
The prime contractor is Lehman Construction of California.
Construction cost: $3.5 million.
Completion: Late May 2013.
Follow MoDOT's Southwest District: facebook.com/MoDOT.Southwest, twitter.com/MoDOT_Southwest and pinterest.com/modotsouthwest