Construction: Summer 2012 through end of 2013
Replace I-44 Bridges over Range Line Road
- New bridge will replace two existing bridges built in 1960.
- Concrete wall will separate eastbound and westbound I-44 traffic.
- New bridge will provide 17-foot clearance above Range Line Road.
Build straight, directional ramps in a diamond configuration on I-44
- Cloverleaf ramps will be taken out, eliminating conflict for traffic speeding up to enter I-44 and slowing down to exit I-44 at same point.
- Acceleration lanes onto I-44 will be lengthened to allow traffic entering I-44 more time to merge.
Convert Range Line Road to 'Diverging Diamond Interchange'
- Traffic on Range Line Road will be shifted to left-hand side of the road at new traffic signals on either side of I-44.
- Range Line Road traffic turning left onto I-44 will have a "free left," without having to turn in front of oncoming traffic
- Range Line Road traffic traveling straight will return to the right-hand side of the road at traffic signal on the other side of I-44.
- Signs, pavement markings, concrete islands will guide Range Line Road drivers through Diverging Diamond Interchange.
- Will build dual right-turn lanes -- Westbound I-44-to-Northbound Range Line Road.
- Will build dual left-turn lanes -- Eastbound I-44-to-Northbound Range Line Road.
- Sidewalk built between concrete walls separating northbound and southbound Range Line Road traffic
Traffic Impacts During Construction
- Lanes on I-44 and Range Line Road closed at various times when traffic volumes are lower.
- Short-term ramp closings will be needed at times.
- Range Line Road and ramps may have to be closed for two to three days shortly before the end of the project for final conversion to Diverging Diamond Interchange.
Cost: $9 million (estimate)
Give us your comments on this project!