LEE'S SUMMIT - Sleet and freezing rain in the forecast for early Friday could cause slick highways during the early morning rush hour. MoDOT cautions drivers to slow down, expect bridges, overpasses and hills to be ice-covered and slick.
MoDOT crews are watching this storm closely, and will be out by 11 p.m. Thursday night to improve safety during the time slick conditions are expected to form. Pre-treatment of highways will depend on precipitation conditions: rain changing over to freezing rain or sleet will tighten the window for effectively spreading salt and brine. Crews will respond to the dropping temperatures, effectively treating the roads in a timely manner to ensure material is on the roadway as the potential for ice increases.
"During potentially icy conditions like these, it's very important for motorists to drive more cautiously than usual," said KC District Engineer Dan Niec. "We are doing everything we can to keep the roads safe, but weather conditions can change rapidly which means road conditions can change quickly too. Please check the roads before you go, reduce your speed, and buckle up."
When approaching MoDOT equipment, motorists are urged to stay back at least 100 feet and avoid passing during any winter storm and follow a few other basic safety rules:
- If you plan to travel during this storm, clear away snow and ice from all windows before you move your vehicle.
- Turn your lights on (it's the law in inclement weather), even during the day.
- Make sure your gas tank is full.
- Carry an emergency kit with blankets, a flashlight, energy bars and water.
- Allow plenty of time.
- Always buckle up, everyone, every time.
- Double the distance you normally would leave behind vehicles in front of you.
- Let someone know when you are leaving, your destination and when you expect to arrive.
MoDOT's Traveler Information Map, located at http://www.modot.org//kansascity, offers real-time views of road conditions for all Missouri's interstates and major highways. Motorists can also call our toll-free customer service center at 888-ASK-MODOT (888-275-6636) where customer service representatives are available to take your call 24 hours a day, seven days a week.