LIBERTY - Interchange work to improve safety and increase capacity at Route 291 and I-35 in Liberty moves into the next phase, starting with demolition of the Route 291 Bridge over I-35. North and southbound I-35 at the bridge; and Route 291 between Church Road and Glen Hendren Drive will close 7 p.m. Friday, Aug. 9 through 6 a.m. Sunday, Aug. 11 for crews to completely remove the structure.
North and southbound I-35 traffic will detour using the ramps at Route 291. Southbound Route 291 traffic will detour onto southbound Church Road and northbound Route 291 traffic will use westbound Route 152.
Traffic will shift to new, nearly finished Route 291 Bridge spanning I-35 following the bridge demolition. Once traffic shifts to the new structure, traffic will be limited to four lanes until the project's December completion date.
The finished bridge will include four through lanes on Route 291, with dual left turn lanes on southbound Route 291 to northbound I-35, and an extended turn lane for northbound Route 291 to southbound I-35 to accommodate more vehicles, for a total of eight new lanes. A 10-foot multi-use path will also be added on the north side of the bridge for pedestrians and cyclists.
Additional work in the area includes:
- Early-August, traffic switch to the new lanes of northbound Route 291 between Church Road and Ash Ave. Contractors will begin work on the center lanes of Route 291.
- Installing permanent traffic signals at Church Road, Glen Hendren, the ramps, and Ash Street began mid-July through end of project.
- Late July, traffic switch to the new pavement on Church Road between Place Liberte Drive and Route 291.
- Mid-August, the Route 291 to northbound I-35 on-ramp will close for 7 days. Traffic will detour using Glen Hendren and Route 33.
- Mid to late-August, the Route 291 to southbound I-35 on-ramp and the northbound I-35 ramp to Route 291 will close for 7 days. Traffic will detour using Church Road and Route 291.
- Mid-September, Church Road will close south of Route 291 for 14 days as crews finish paving in the area.
All work is weather dependent. This $10.659 million project was awarded to Clarkson Construction and is expected to be completed by December 2013.
In addition to the new bridge, this project includes constructing new I-35 ramps closer to the bridge; a new third through lane on northbound Route 291 from Glenn Hendren to Ash Street; a right turn lane on southbound Route 291 between the intersection of Church Road to the southbound ramp to I-35; additional turn lanes at Ash/96th onto Route 291; and an additional left turn lane on Glenn Hendren to southbound Route 291.
For more information about other MoDOT projects, please visit MoDOT's Website at www.modot.mo.gov/kansascity. For instant updates, follow MoDOT_KC on Twitter or send questions and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. We want your feedback on our work zones! Rate Our Work Zones at www.modot.org/kansascity.